Wednesday 5 October 2011

From the beginning



Well here I am, a 32 year old waitress in a well known restaurant in one of the UKs busiest cities, answering every day the question “so when are you going to get a real job?” 

The thing is I have been to university, one of the best in the UK actually and TWICE. Yes I am a waitress with not one degree but two. The truth is that I have never seen myself in a 9-5 office job. I have tried it, I have, but it’s not for me. The office politics the gaggle of cackling woman, the rush hour commute, going home to mind numbing TV and a routine with a set bedtime. Whilst I understand this may be ideal to hundreds, thousands of people out there it’s just not for me. No thanks give me my lie in, my saunter to work, my flexible hours and my 2 days off during the week.  This suits my lifestyle, I can go out after work, mid week nights out are so much cheaper than weekends in the city, and less pretentious by far.

Do I want to be a waitress forever? Of course I don’t it suits me for now, I have a great job I make more than my salary on tips and in this financial recession my job is pretty secure. People still need to eat right? My work is busy every day there is no shortage of customers or shifts. My work is also expanding, opening in new locations at a rapid pace there will be plenty of opportunity for me to progress.....just not yet I’m having too much fun enjoying my life.

I’ve thought for a long time about starting a blog, to share with you all the lives of those in the service industry. The laughs, and believe me there are laughs but there are also tears, anger and frustration. I want to share with you all what as service staff we endure on a day to day basis, those of you in the service industry yourselves will relate to what I am saying and laugh and rage along with me, those of you not in the service industry will maybe learn what it’s like to do so.

I hope you all will have a lot of laughs..........


No comments:

Post a Comment